Wednesday 16 January 2008

Threefold repetition

Last night I had a bit of a silly game. For the first time ever, I drew a game due to threefold repetition. To be honest I wasn't in the mood that much for the game, what with it being my birthday and I was a bit drained after spending the afternoon walking round Sherwood Forest with the wife and dog. I was particularly annoyed with myself a couple of moves after move 13, when I realised I totally missed playing 13...b5 below:

The final position is below:


We both took turns moving our light bishops, and repeated the moves. We both thought for a long time before repeating the moves a second time. For my part, I just didn't want to give up that bishop which I felt would have weakened my kingside. Looking at the position I suppose I have a slight edge and should maybe have taken his bishop.

But then again, it's not bad to draw with black against a higher rated opponent. What is a bit concerning is the fact that I've drawn my last four standard OTB games, but again they've all been against higher rated opponents who I would have lost to a few months ago.

The game, for what it's worth, is below:

[Event "Derbyshire League"]
[Date "2008.01.15"]
[White "Ashton Alfred, West Nottingham 'C'"]
[Black "Dean Madden, Spondon 'D'"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B01"]

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qa5 4. Bc4 Nf6 5. Nf3 c6 6. O-O Bf5 7. d3 e6 8. Bd2 Qc7 9. Nd4 Bg6 10. Re1 Qb6 11. Nb3 Nbd7 12. Na4 Qc7 13. g3 Ne5 14. Bf4 Bd6 15. Bxe5 Bxe5 16. d4 Bd6 17. Nc3 O-O 18. Bd3 Bh5 19. Be2 Bg6 20. Bd3 Bh5 21. Be2 Bg6 22. Bd3 1/2-1/2

4 comments:

tanch said...

Hello Dean,

Don't be too hard on yourself.

After all, you did manage to hold your own against a higher rated opponent. That's indeed something worth reassuring about.

What is worse, to lose on your birthday or to play a draw? I take a draw any day of the week in your case.

True, the position holds lots of promise although Black looks like it has a slight advantage due to the slightly exposed White King but dude, it's your birthday after all.

If you find yourself drawing against higher rated opponents, then you're obviously improving and doing something right! Congrats!

Oh btw, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! :D

Dean said...

Hi happyhippo, thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dean, Nathan Atkins here, I'll discuss the game further if you want to look at me with it. Either way, a draws still good, we won 2.5-1.5 (I didn't exactly play brillant), meaning we've took the lead in the league (With one more game to play), so it's all good.

Dean said...

Hi Nathan,

Thanks yes I saw the result and latest standings in Bert's bulletin. It looks like we're all getting the drawing bug!

Dean